Fear's Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PC vs. MAC

5 posters

Go down

PC vs. MAC Empty PC vs. MAC

Post  MSJ Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:32 am

So we've all heard of the big rivalry and i'm debating buying a MAC in a few months to specifically work on my web design projects and all that fun stuff. My friend keeps telling me MACS no longer have any advantages over PC and in fact are just more expensive.

So what are your thoughts? Should I buy a 1600$ MAC or get a beefed up PC?
MSJ
MSJ
Admin

http://fear.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

PC vs. MAC Empty Re: PC vs. MAC

Post  burklert Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:58 am

Hmmm well i used be a mac man. The software is nice and their pretty reliable. But when it came down to replacing my mac recently i paid half the price and bought myself a beefy pc. Thing is though i only like it because it has xp on it that i had to install and modify heavily. If your beefy pc comes with vista abandon all hope. Vista is worse than you could possible think.

burklert

Back to top Go down

Post  Crimsonchilli Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:58 am

beefed up PC.
Macs just look better.
Get a good PC, and with the money you saved, pimp it up with some good software like photoshop pro etc.
At the end of the day, there is so much more you can do with PCs than MACs.

Crimsonchilli

Back to top Go down

Post  Caesarr Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:20 am

yeah with the same amount of money, you can achieve more with PCs than you can with a MAC.

i wouldnt suggest buying a computer from a store though. theyre usually a hell of a lot cheaper to buy online (or to buy the parts and get it custom-made, if you know someone who can handle that).
Caesarr
Caesarr

Back to top Go down

Post  Crimsonchilli Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:23 am

yeah if you want a top notch PC, buy a mid range one, and soup it up.
Things like extra RAM and bigger hard drives are so cheap now days.

Crimsonchilli

Back to top Go down

Post  MSJ Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:38 am

What about in terms of stability and reliability? Which is best?
MSJ
MSJ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Senator78 Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:33 pm

I work with both Macs and PCs every day. Even though Macs are supposed to be some great computers, they crash just as much as PCs do. Sometimes more it seems. I think it all depends on what you are doing.

If you are strictly going to be doing graphics and web stuff, then a Mac might be the best route. But if you ever intend on being able to do anything else, go for a PC. PCs still have far more flexibility to do what you want than a Mac. Want to play a game? Good luck finding it on a Mac. Financial software, Word, Excel, and just about everything else, either is not available for a Mac or just doesn't work the same. You can probably find specific software, but you are very limited on choice. Also web pages still don't show up the same on a Mac as they do on a PC. Firefox helps, but I'm not entirely convinced everything translates the way it is supposed to. You can get Microsoft Office for a Mac, but it definitely doesn't work the same as on a PC.

PCs are also much easier to mix and match what parts you want in your machine, and you can always upgrade things into your machine later. Can't really do that with most Macs.

So, in other words, Macs are very good for specific purposes and for casual users are much better, but for hardcore applications, a PC is your better option.

Senator78

Back to top Go down

Post  MSJ Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:55 pm

Hmm well the MAC was to do my web-design work...and since I still have an older PC or laptop to do all my gaming/other work I think the MAC might be my best choice here.

Especially since you said websites show up differently on both, that will be very important in designing them.

I'm still interested in hearing different point of views on this topic though
MSJ
MSJ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Caesarr Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:13 am

if your knowledge of computers is good (dual core, Ghz, GB, graphic cards, etc etc), then id strongly suggest a PC. if that stuff doesnt really mean much to you, then either one is fine.

MACs are more user friendly, but because of this their customization is limited.
Caesarr
Caesarr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum