Fear's Tavern
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quebec City

2 posters

Go down

Quebec City Empty Quebec City

Post  MSJ Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:48 pm

Guess i'll be the first to wonder off near the window ledge.

So this summer's trip consisted of a short trip to Canada's oldest city: Quebec city. Built 400 years ago it's the only (or oldest...) fortified city in Canada. Being from a country where our historic sites don't date back too far like other european/asian countries it was really interesting to see all the old structures like the gates, turrets, citadels.

Though one of the most interesting aspects of the trip was actually learning my french heritage. Not sure if you guys know but us Canadian-french hate listening to the France-french because well it sounds snobbish and annoying. Anyways I pretty much learned the whole story of the french colony that was sent to Canada way back while they were competing to expand their empire against the english. Then the french revolution came around and France being poor didn't fortify Quebec which led the city to fall to the english empire. They then moved ahead to build the cities defense to repel not only french but american invasion.

The city being located on a key strategic position makes you wonder if anyone could of possibly conquered the place, it lies on a steep hill next to the waterway (St-Laurent) and has a wall on the other side of it's border making an invasion nearly impossible...a siege though may have done the trick.

If you're interested in historic events between the french/english or just canadian history I really suggest visiting this place, especially if you're from north america and never have gone overseas.

And of course make sure to try Quebec's famous poutine Wink
MSJ
MSJ
Admin

http://fear.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

Quebec City Empty Re: Quebec City

Post  Crimsonchilli Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:00 am

400 years ?
damn, my schools older than that.

Talking about Canada, while on a cadet excercise a few weeks back, we shared a dorm with the Cadanian Nation Cadet rifle shooting team. They were pretty awsome, and kept on handing us all these pencils, badges and other stuff like that with the names of the cities they were from on. Made us feel like right old tourists going to bed with a stack of pencils, pens a notepads, saying i <3 Ontario on.
I think they were based at Connaught or somthing like that.

Crimsonchilli

Back to top Go down

Post  MSJ Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:33 am

Yeah canadians are always told to bring little souvenirs with them when they go out of country. Spreads our reputation and people love getting free gifts. Not too sure where conaugt is from but i'm from Ontario so can't be too far from home.
MSJ
MSJ
Admin

http://fear.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum